Commuter Assistance Program
Program ElementsTo enroll in the program and be assigned to a specific Commuter Assistant, you must
- Be a new, incoming UIC student
- Look to interact with other students
- Be ready to make the most of your time at UIC!
- Attend at least 3 of the programs your CA holds during the semester (they will plan at least 5). The programs range from purely social events to commuter-related workshops. Each group also plans off-campus activities each semester; like plays, museums, or sporting functions.
- Check in with your specific CA at least 1 time per month. Your CA will keep office hours in the Commuter Student Resource Center, so they will be easy to find!
Why You Should JoinWe are committed to your success as a commuter student! As a Commuter Assistance Program participant you will join a group of 10-20 other new UIC students led by a Commuter Assistant. Your Commuter Assistant, or “CA”, will plan fun events at UIC and around the city for your group to attend. Your CA will also serve as a mentor, answering your questions and pointing you towards resources around UIC that can enhance your college experience.
What You Will GainNew Places
- Explore UIC and what the university has to offer its students
- Explore Chicago and its attractions
- Learn about the services and facilities available to you at UIC
- Opportunities to socialize
- Meet students from all different backgrounds
- Is a current UIC upper class student
- Answers any questions you have about UIC
- Knows who to refer you to for almost any problem or need
- Will help you get to know UIC and the city better
- Someone to talk to regarding just about anything!
Past Programs Include
- Lincoln Park Zoo Trip
- Navy Pier Trip
- Bowling & Pizza Night
- Sushi Night
- Haunted House Trip
- Chats over Coffee
- Museum Visits
- Giordano’s Pizza Lunch
- UIC Sporting Event
- UIC Dept. of Theatre and Music Performance
FAQWhat is a Commuter Assistant?
A Commuter Assistant (CA) is an upperclass UIC student who has demonstrated leadership, involvement, and commitment to the campus making him or her an excellent mentor and resource for incoming students.
What’s in it for me?
The CA Program offers you an opportunity to connect with other new students and upperclass students that will help you make the most of your time at UIC. Don’t forget, you will learn valuable information, have fun, and meet friends along the way
What would enrolling in the Commuter Assistance Program involve?
If you enroll in this program, you will be assigned to a specific CA. That person will plan special events throughout the semester just for you and other participants assigned to your CA’s group (see “Program Elements” for full details).
Does it cost money?
It’s free! Though your CA might organize an optional off-campus event that may have an associated cost or deposit.
Testimonials From Last Year's ParticipantsWhat did you gain from the Commuter Assistance program?
- “New friends!”
- “Confidence in where things are located on campus.”
- “The chance to explore places I knew of already but never got a chance to go.”
- “OMG definitely!”
- “Yes! The program helps students gain confidence in walking around campus & taking advantage of resources.”
- “Yes, UIC is a big place. You get an awesome role model and meet new people in a fun way.”